Thursday, September 6, 2012

Pretty Food

I find so much inspiration in food.  I'm not sure if I've ever shared this on here before, but I did a one-year Culinary program at our local community college straight out of high school.  Three weeks after graduation from that program, I married my bestie.  The program could use improvement, but it did give me a certain love for food.  I worked in a few different food industry jobs before Ziva was born.  One being an artisan bakery.  We crafted beautiful, beautiful, delicious breads every day.  We had a top of the line espresso machine.  We made pesto from scratch for our sandwiches.  I used a sheeter to make sure our homemade pastry dough had 88 layers of butter and dough. 

Anyway, yeah that was a delicious job.  Oh and just so you know, I'm drinking Pumpkin Spice coffee right now, which probably deserves a post of it's own, but "oh hey, September!" =]

Working the dough daily (my job was to refresh the starter - feed it flour and water - before I went home {they were mostly sour doughs}, then in the morning I mixed the doughs, let them rise most of the day while I worked on other projects, shaped the loaves, and put them into the fridge to retard so the night baker could bake them in the wee hours of the morning and they'd be fresh for customers at 7am) gave me a love for good bread, and a real sense of how the dough is supposed to feel/look/sound when it's slapping against the mixer bowl.  I learned so much there.

IMG_20120905_180447

I try really really hard to make our breads at home now, because I have that skill.  It doesn't happen 100% of the time, but I do try.  I have a go-to whole wheat bread recipe that I generally stick to because it comes out good and we like it, plus of course it's healthy!

What keeps me inspired to do this stuff?  Pretty food.  Clean kitchen.  Full fridge.

We have our local farmer's market on Wednesdays, where we pick up our CSA and buy our raw milk.  We also happened to get groceries yesterday.  (I don't have a specific day of the week I always go, it's just kind of whenever we start to run out of food.  lol.)

IMG_20120905_205931

While putting away all the food, I just couldn't help myself.  I had to grab my phone and start taking pictures.  I love it when my fridge is full of healthy, delicious food, and it's what inspires me to feed my family well.

IMG_20120905_212017

Food hangs out in various areas of our small, apartment kitchen.  And seeing it out in the open is a happy sight too.

IMG_20120905_212048

IMG_20120905_212139
{oh, hey there!}

IMG_20120905_212450
{rolled oats, raw almonds, ground espresso, steel cut oats, quinoa and evaporated cane juice}

Another thing that helps me to feed my family well is prepping things.  Before I put away the kale and swiss chard from our CSA I chopped it and put it in bags.  That way it's easy to prepare, and I've found it stays fresher that way.  I like string cheese for a good protein filled snack, but I'd rather buy the block of cheese with the cheaper unit price.  So when I open the cheese I'll slice the whole block into sticks or slices, then keep them in a baggie or sealed container so they're easy to grab.  Just a couple things I do to encourage us to eat well!

What do you do to keep your family eating healthy food?