Thursday, September 6, 2012

Honey Whole Wheat Bread

I've gotten some requests for the bread recipe I use.  =]  This recipe was given to me by my mom, and I'm not sure exactly where she found it.  I'm going to add a link to this post under 'Our Favorite Recipes' at the top of the page so that it's easy to find!


Honey Whole Wheat Bread

1/3 c honey
1/3 c oil (I use extra virgin olive oil)
2 1/2 c warm water
1 1/2 TBSP yeast
2 1/2 tsp salt 
6-7 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 TBSP dough enhancer (vital wheat gluten)

Combine the warm water, yeast and 2 cups flour in mixing bowl. Allow to sponge (aka just sit there) for 15 min. Add the honey, oil, dough enhancer, salt and 4-5 cups of flour until the dough begins to clean the sides of the mixing bowl. Do not make the dough too stiff (dry). It is common to add too much flour.

Knead 6-10 minutes in mixer until the dough is smooth and elastic.

Form dough into 2 loaves - allow to rise in a slightly warm oven till doubled. (30-60 minutes)

Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. You can tell if it's done by taking the loaf out of the pan and tapping it on the bottom. You want to hear a hollow sound. =]

I almost always half this recipe to make just one loaf. But you can always make 2 and freeze one for later!  And one of the best parts (to me) is that you only let this dough rise once (in the pan) so it takes a lot less time to make!