Wednesday, April 25, 2012

maxi for mama

1335371126029_-1
I'm getting tired of phone pics... and please excuse my messy bathroom! =]

Don't you just love maxi skirts?  I do.  They're so versatile!  They can be dressed up or down and are the most comfortable thing you'll ever wear.  I whipped this one up this morning using leftover fabric from my sister's bridesmaids' dresses.  The dresses were actually a lot like this, and I already had the skirt portion of one sewn up. (It ended up not fitting someone.) I just added a waistband and voila!

1335371178427_-1

Photo by my Aunt Christine

{The bridesmaids dresses were based on the infinity dress.  There are a lot of great diy tutorials out there!  You probably can't tell from the picture, but I made ours so they had a lot more coverage than the ones on the website.}

It's a super simple skirt to make and since it's stretch knit fabric, the fit is very forgiving. =]  There's a good tutorial here to make one. 

Sewing with knits is a little more challenging (I think) than with woven fabric.  One thing that makes a huge difference is make sure you use a ball-point needle.  Otherwise the needle will tear at the fabric and you'll end up with a big huge mess and a lot of frustration.  I know this from experience. =]

Anyway, do yourself a favor and make a maxi skirt to wear all summer long.  They're comfy enough to curl up on the couch with a book, you can wear them to church, or the park, or the beach over your swimsuit, you could even pull it up higher and wear it as a dress with a belt, so many options!