Friday, April 27, 2012

How to Cook Rice Perfectly

Dinner
Making dinner tonight, I thought, "Hey.  More people should know how to do this!"

I cannot make rice on the stove top.  It always seemed to boil over or not be done when the water was gone, or stick to the bottom.  Once I made it in the microwave, and when I lifted the cover I got a nasty steam burn!  Oh it was bad.  And we don't have a microwave anymore, so, not an option.  A friend taught me this fool-proof method for rice cooking a few years ago.

Here's how I cook my rice!

::Boil water in your kettle or a pot.

::Add rice to a oven-safe dish (I use a 9x9 pyrex).  Tonight I did 2 cups dry rice.

::Add 2 parts boiling water.  (So I added 4 cups)

::And a good drizzle of olive oil or butter.

::Salt and pepper if you like.

::Cover with aluminum foil, stick in an oven preheated at 350, and come back in an hour! 

::(Brown rice takes an hour, but white rice probably takes about half as long.)

::Remove from the oven and check to be sure all the water has cooked into the rice.  Fluff with a fork and serve!

We're enjoying our rice over yummy beef & broccoli tonight!