Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Green Clean

Have I ever mentioned how amazing white vinegar is?  Probably not.  But it is.

I use it in all my homemade cleaners.  I keep a spray bottle of 1:1 water & vinegar on the counter for spraying down the table and counters.  It's efficient and more importantly, it's safe for my family to breathe.  Not that it smells great, but it's safe.

I had a bit of a mishap with steel cut oats the other night.  I'm not sure why, but the bottom burned on, badly.

I scraped, scrubbed, soaked.  I tried my go-to for stainless steel pots and pans - salt.  Nothing.  I tried baking soda and vinegar.  I let it bubble and sit overnight.  Nothing.  I tried lime juice.  (I didn't have any lemon on hand.) Nothing.  I was seriously ready to give up.

Burnt.

{this is how it looked, only covering the entire bottom.  Thick, black, crusty, burnt!}

Then I googled.  (Why didn't I do that first??)  I came up with this site and decided to try boiling 1:1 water and vinegar.  While it heated I scraped the pot with a wooden spoon.  And guess what.  The burnt bits started chipping off!  The photo above is how it looked after heating (I didn't really bring it to a boil) and scraping for 5-10 minutes.  I had to go so I decided to let it sit then finish later.

Tonight I dumped it and added new water and vinegar and finished it up!  It looks good as new!  I couldn't be happier with the result!

Clean!


What amazing things do you do with vinegar?


1 comment:

DeliaKnits said...

Neutralize cat pee..in the wash,on the carpet, havent tried it in the box,but i bet it would work there too. Vingar is amazing.