Monday, April 9, 2012

on social networking.


 {someecards.com}

So, most people (at least, those who are my facebook friends) know that I gave up facebook for the Lent period.  I'm not Catholic, it was just something I wanted to do for me, and for my family.

As a SAHM, sometimes I get bored, and the computer is just sitting there.  Interaction with other adults, just on the other side.

I find that I can let myself get sucked in, and really waste a lot of time.

So I took 40 days off.  And to be honest?  I didn't miss it that much.

I'm back on facebook now, but differently.  I don't want to just sit down and read it because I'm bored.  I want to use it as a tool to be in touch with friends.  To share and find pictures and articles I genuinely care about.

Today I waited til Z was down for her nap to log in.  I then proceeded to unsubscribe from mostly everyone on my news feed.  It's not you, it's me, I promise.  I need to discipline myself this way - I get sucked in.

I thought about deleting it altogether.  But I missed talking to a lot of people while I wasn't on.  It's a really convenient tool for staying in touch with friends and I don't want to give that up.  What I do want to give up is facebook browsing at random times during the day, so I'm giving myself a specified time to do it. 

I know I can and should use my time more wisely.   This is a conviction of mine.

There's sewing to be done.  Goodies to be baked.  Skills to be learned.  Books to be read.  Blogs to be posted.  Things to be taught.

There's so much more to do.