Thursday, April 5, 2012

beauty from the kitchen 2


It seems as though the kitchen pantry has started to spill into the bathroom cupboard.  =]

If you open the bathroom cupboard you'll find; baking soda, apple cider vinegar, and raw honey, among other more "normal" things.

I've recently started washing my face with raw honey.  Before this, I used California Baby Super Sensitive Shampoo, and when we stopped buying that I just started using our bar of olive oil soap.  I began having some breakouts.  (I don't normally break out, just get a pimple here and there.) 

I saw this pin on Pinterest a little over a week ago and decided to just give it a go!  Here's a link to the actual blog post.

I use a baby spoon to scoop some honey out of the jar, it's probably about 1/2 a teaspoon.  Then with wet hands I spread it over my face, and let it sit a while.  I'm really bad about washing my face at night.  The first few days of washing with honey I totally did, but most nights I don't. =/  Anyway, spread, sit, rinse, dry.

Then when I get out of the shower I use apple cider vinegar as a toner.  Now, before reading this post I'd never used toner before, so I can't really compare it to any commercial toners.  Recently I had been using a natural tinted moisturizer on my face straight out of the shower, that left my face feeling greasy half way through the day.  With the acv my face feels soft and moisturized, but not greasy!  As I write this, it's 6:40 am, I haven't washed my face since yesterday morning, and it still feels clean and grease-free.  From what I understand, apple cider vinegar balances the natural pH of your skin.  (As well as your scalp when you use it as a final rinse in hair cleansing!)

For the toner, I used an old peri bottle (squirt bottle) from Ziva's birth and filled it with 1 part acv, and 3 parts water.  I simply squirt a little on the corner of a dry washcloth and spread it over my face, avoiding my eyes.  The pickle smell dissipates once it dries.  I found that if I used a wet washcloth the smell didn't dissipate as well.

And that's it!  I don't use any baking soda on my face like the girl who wrote the post.  I haven't felt a need. =]

Here are my (non-scientific) pros and cons for the honey/acv routine:

Pros:
-When the honey runs into your mouth, it tastes good and you don't worry that you're eating chemicals that might be in conventional face products. ;]  (Sorry if that seems gross but it's truth!)

-Natural

-Easy

-Great feeling skin

-Improved skin tone.  (Less redness, no new breakouts!)

Cons:
-If you get steam in your face, the pickle smell comes out for a minute.  So if I start to sweat this summer, I wonder if I'll give people cravings for pickles?

-A little less convenient than having a product right in the shower, but I could remedy that by picking up an empty squirt bottle somewhere and filling it with honey.

-Sometimes the pickle smell takes a few minutes to dissipate, and I climb in bed and tell my husband to stay away from my face.  =P  Maybe that's why I'm not good at washing at night?

So there you have it - my daily face routine!  What do you use on your face?