Thursday, March 29, 2012

beauty from the kitchen

So.  I've been kind of scared to post this, but...

I don't use shampoo.   I clean my hair with baking soda and condition with apple cider vinegar.

What?  You think I'm disgusting?  Here's a picture of me this morning:

No poo hair
 {awkward face - no make-up - on a baking soda/acv day - oh yeah and I need a haircut}

I decided to jump on the 'no poo' train at the end of January, and here we are almost April, and I'm still doing it, so I thought it was safe to post about. ;]

I'm not going to reinvent the wheel, because there are a lot of great posts about going no poo.  My favorite is this post from Simple Mom.  She explains it really well, and why it works, plus links to more good posts.

Why did I choose to do it?  Firstly, I always struggle with finding a shampoo and conditioner that is free of chemicals.  Secondly, to save money.  (Lots!)  Thirdly, I'm really trying not to rely on buying traditional body care products - and making my own, or using stuff I would eat makes me feel really happy.

Here's my basic routine:

I keep two 8 oz disposable party cups in my shower.  On days that I do baking soda and acv, I simply put a tablespoon of each in a cup, then add water to the top of the cup while I'm in the shower.  I start by slowly dumping the baking soda water on my head and massaging it into my scalp.  I let it sit then rinse really well, then do the same with the acv.  You want to make sure you rinse quite well, or you may smell like a pickle. =]

I like to do this once or twice a week, depending on how my hair feels.  The rest of the time I just wet my hair and do a scalp massage to stimulate the roots.

I've been doing this for about 2 months now and my hair and scalp feel so healthy.  My scalp would always itch and flake with traditional shampoo, but not with this.  I still dry my hair (at least my bangs) most days, and sometimes I straighten it.  I don't use any other product on my hair right now.

And even though I've been doing this for 2 months, sometimes when I step into the shower with my two little cups I think to myself, "There's no way this is going to work."  But it does.  

What natural beauty routines do you follow?