Monday, April 2, 2012

catching up

Ahh it's been a busy Monday.  I feel like I was in the kitchen all morning, and well, I basically was.

Saturday afternoon, we were sitting on the couch as a family.  The hubs reading to Ziva and me listening and knitting.  His dad had come down to drop off a bed they wanted to get rid of for my sister and as soon as he walked in the door, Z started throwing up. =[ (Not at all related to seeing her grandfather.) =P  Poor baby was so nonchalant about vomiting that I didn't even hear or notice while I was sitting right next to her.  The hubs turned around and said, "Ummm..." and pointed, and I used her dress to catch.  (Sorry, TMI!)

The rest of the afternoon she hugged me and ran a fever.  The hubs & Grampa went out to fetch some herbal teas and a temporal artery thermometer.  (Which makes life a lot easier with a sick toddler!)  I felt so bad for my poor little lady, but, I did enjoy the cuddling, I'm not gonna lie.  It's been a loooong time since she would simply lay on my chest (make that, entire body, now) with no monkey-business.  So yeah, I'm a mean mom who got a tiny bit of pleasure out of my child being sick.  So sue me. =P

We ended up staying home from church Sunday just to make sure, and by the evening she was pretty much back to her normal self.  I don't think her appetite is 100% back yet, and she sounds a little raspy, but all in all she's acting fine.

Anyway, what does this have to do with being in the kitchen?  Due to caring for a sick child, lots of dishes that didn't get done Sunday night, and some baking was in order.

I try really hard to make from scratch as much as I can.  I bake bread at least once a week and we don't usually buy processed snacks for the hubs to bring to work so I have to keep snack type things stocked up too.  We do this to save money, and to control the ingredients that go into our foods.  Plus, we only have one car, so if we're out of something I can't just run down to the store.

(I was pretty tired this morning so I didn't get up and help him with his lunch.  I hope he found some food.)

This morning I made whole wheat bread and some chocolate chip cookies made with whole wheat flour and chickpeas.  I'm trying to come up with a wide variety of recipes for things with 100% whole wheat flour - if you have any that you use, please share!

1333378422346_-1

Oh, did you notice that rack of square things behind the bread?  It looks like giant slabs of peanut butter fudge, doesn't it?  Well it's not.  Care to take a guess?