Wednesday, April 18, 2012

beauty from the kitchen 3

Hey there. =]

So.  I'm pretty much switched over to all homemade bath and beauty products now! (Excluding makeup, which I don't wear everyday.)

About a week ago I finally bit the bullet and decided to try making deodorant.  I know it's probably the worst because I was using antiperspirant.  It took me awhile to finally do it because, well, I didn't want to be stinky.  And guess what!  I'm not!  There's some pretty interesting (if you're interested in armpits) info on deodorant and antiperspirant here.

I can't for the life of me find the website that I got the recipe from, so if you come across it let me know and I'll link it up!

Deodorant

1/4 c coconut oil
2 T cornstarch (NOT cornmeal - I almost made that mistake...)
2 T Baking Soda

Mix.

I didn't want to go out and buy a whole jar of coconut oil (about $10) at this point, so I borrowed that 1/4 cup from my mom and brought it home in a baggie.  Then I just added the other two ingredients to the baggie, closed it up and smooshed to mix.  I keep it in the baggie, and use about a pea sized amount for each arm.  You can put it in a jar or an empty deodorant container.  BUT - coconut oil has a low melting point (76 degrees) so if it melts, the oil and powders will separate.

I've been using the deodorant for about a week now and I really like it.  It even got up to 80 yesterday and you better believe I do frequent sniff checks! ;]  I know everyone's body chemistry is different, but for me (so far) this works so I thought I'd share!