Monday, March 26, 2012

Project Simplify: Weeks 3 & 4

So as you saw from last weeks posts, we had gorgeous, warm weather here in Maine.  All week.  80s.  Craziness.  You better believe I wasn't staying inside to clean. =]

I didn't do a whole lot for week 3 (Countertops, drawers and closets) but Ben did!  He got into this cleaning mode one night while I was doing up the dinner dishes and he just cleaned until it was time to put the girl to bed!  It was awesome!  I helped a little when I was done with dishes but he did the majority.  A few "hot spots" he worked on were;

-The countertop next to our back door.  It has a little serving tray type thing that we painted at Color Me Mine, that collects randomness.  I think the original reason we put it there was to hold keys and outgoing mail, that type of thing, but it's a junk collector and will probably always need purging... =]

-Top of the fridge.  We don't have a ton of counter space, so up there is our spice rack (which was insanely dusty), a bolga basket that we usually keep bread items in, olive oils, and maybe a few others things had made their way up there.  I think he mostly dusted and organized.  We're not very tall so we don't see up there.  lol.

He might have done some other spots.  I'm drawing a blank right now.

Week 4 is Pick Your Own Adventure.  Oh boy.  We have an adventure for sure. 

We live in a 2 bedroom apt and with that apt comes a medium sized, cage-like, basement storage unit.  We're tackling it this week. We actually started it last night (while my sis and BIL watched Z), and worked for about an hour and a half.  Rearranging boxes, opening them up and wondering "WHY in the world did we move this with us??!!" (1.5 yrs ago) Lots of donations, lots of recycling, lots of trash.  Some hemming and hawing over certain things.

We've already arranged for my parents to watch the girl this evening so we can finish up.  It's hard work!  Especially when you come across the sentimental stuff.  I've found I'm a lot less sentimental about stuff though, since I've read Organized Simplicity. 

As I've mentioned before, my mantra of sorts is now, "Is it useful to us?   Is it beautiful to us?"  If the answer is no, it's gone.

One thing I'm really happy about is that our storage area is starting to look like it's actually being put to good use.  Storing things that are actually useful, just not at this time.  (Outgrown baby clothes, toys, pack n play, etc.  Camping gear, Christmas decorations, etc.)  No more storing useless junk!  And absolutely no moving of said junk next time we move!

If we finish this tonight, I may do some more projects this week.  I'm thinking of weeding out our CD and DVD collections and selling what we don't really care about.  There are some we love, and some that just sit there, so rather than letting them create clutter in my home, why don't we let them make us a little cash? =]

Kudos if you read this whole thing - I'd love to hear what everyone else is working on in their homes!