Thursday, May 26, 2011

Diaper Repair

Simplicity is important in this family. We don't want a bunch of extra unnecessary objects and we try to be as frugal as possible with our money. So we don't really want to go around replacing things all the time, if it can be repaired and reused, we do it!

We've been using cloth on Z since we brought her home from the hospital, and we use a lot of one-size diapers. Z is now 18 months old, so said one-size diapers have had a lot of use and started to wear out, mainly the elastic that goes around her legs. (And we all know we don't want anything coming out of those leg holes!) I didn't even really realize that the elastic was all stretched out until I bought a few brand new diapers and they were sitting next to the old ones, there was a big difference!

I'm a crafty gal, so I set off to google a bit about replacing elastic in cloth diapers. I found this great tutorial and I've been slowly going through and replacing elastic in old diapers this week.


You can see how stretched out the elastic was! This diaper has been in rotation for about 15 months, and it's one of our favorites, so it's used quite a bit. Now it's like new!! Hooray!