Tuesday, March 26, 2013

{Catching up on} Asher: Months 1 & 2

I'm going to do some "catch-up" posts, going back to share updates.  So we'll be a little out of order for a bit. ;]

month1
If I had to describe Asher's first month in one word, it would be "growth."  Man oh man did that baby grow.  Born at 8 lbs 8 oz, he was weighing it at 9 lbs 4 oz at one week old.  At 2 weeks old he was up to 10 lbs, 9 oz.  We squeezed him into size newborn clothes for about the first week of his life (most of the tags do say 5-8 lbs) and then we gave up and moved him up to 3 months sized clothing.  We also barely got a chance to put newborn diapers on him.

We found out at his 1 week appointment that something was bothering his belly.  (He had mucous in his stool, a taut, gassy belly and a bit of rash on his bum.)  Naturally, I cut dairy from my diet first.  Things started to clear up right away.  Apparently we make kids who can't handle dairy.  I blame it on the fact that Ben grew up on a dairy farm...lol.

At his 2 week appointment we found out that he had thrush, and we're still battling it.  It's not bad, bad... but sometimes I feel I'm just managing it, not really getting rid of it.
month2

In his second month, Asher had his 6 week check up and weighed in at 12 lbs 7.5 oz.  This boy loves to eat.  It's so mind boggling to me that I feed him exactly the same way I did his older sister (exclusively breastfed, on demand) and he is SO much bigger than she was at this age.  A friend suggested to me that Ziva must have gotten skim and Asher drinks half & half.  Hehe.

Asher got his first cold in his second month and it was absolutely no fun at all.  Poor boy.  I was the only one in the house who didn't get the cold.  For a week straight, about one feeding a day, post-nasal drip (I assume) would trigger his gag reflex and he'd throw up an entire feeding all over himself and me.  Every night Asher and I would climb into the shower to wash the puke off.  Oh how happy I was to be done with that!

Side note, and I'm not being compensated to say this, the Nosefrida is amazing.  It sounds disgusting, but it's so worth it.  And it's really not that gross.  It worked so much more effectively and quickly than the bulb nasal aspirator.  And amazon was amazing, I don't know if my order was packed by a fellow mom, or what, but by some miraculous feat I ordered it one afternoon and it came the next day.  I selected 2 day shipping.  Oh yeah, and if you're bored, read the reviews.  They're hilarious.

And a few extra photos from the 2 month shoot.  I want this framed for my wall...

DSC09956-2
DSC09933
DSC09930