Thursday, February 9, 2012

Snacking


Snacking.

Healthy snacking.

It isn't always easy or delicious.

We're really digging this muffin recipe via Joy the Baker.  Here's my take on it!





Oatmeal Blueberry Applesauce Muffins

Makes 12-15 muffins
  • 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/4 cups oats
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk  almond milk
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar  evaporated cane juice
  • 2 tbsp canola oil (I used the almond oil I had on hand)  1/4 cup ground flax meal
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 3/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper cases or spray with nonstick cooking spray. I simple greased and floured a muffin pan, saving the paper.
In a large bowl combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a medium bowl combine applesauce, buttermilk, sugar, oil and egg. Make a well in dry ingredients and add applesauce mixture. Stir until just moist. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.


I've made this recipe a few times and they're really yummy.  The first couple times I made it my only sub was the almond milk.  I was so surprised at how moist they are with no white flour.  Win!  The last time I made them I added the other two subs, evaporated cane juice (which is new to our household) and flax.  I kind of just wung it but they came out good again so I thought I'd share!  They're not super sweet, but we love them.

I'm new to healthier sugar substitutes, and I know they still need to be used in moderation.  If anyone has anything to share about evaporated cane juice or other natural sweeteners please do!  I'd love to know more.